When life tears away at the fabric of your life, your poverty drives you to seek help. So you pour out your heart to God hoping He’ll speak words that will comfort you and alter the course of your life so you experience relief. But too often, all you hear is the wind. Why is that?
We can make the art of listening to God a complicated affair, but it’s not. God isn’t some untouchable, unapproachable, illusive deity. He continually speaks through His Word. He’s waiting for you to crack open the Bible and peer at the pages to hear the very words of God to…you.
On Facebook last Friday, I asked if you had a plan for reading the Bible this summer because unless Bible reading is a daily event for you, it won’t likely happen this summer. Why am I asking you about a plan? The making of a plan has nothing to do with checking off items on a “Christian Duty List” list and EVERYTHING to do with creating space to hear God’s voice. That’s right. YOU must create a time specifically set apart for hearing God’s word if you want Him to speak to you.
As a woman who’s been married for 31 years, I can tell you I’ve heard God’s voice speaking directly to me in the form of conviction (never condemnation!) as I’ve read the Bible and these words have given me the direction I craved. God’s written words are His voice calling out to you. Are you LISTENING?
If you don’t listen as you read, you’re making the choice to continue on your current path, content to live with a host of unmet longings or a life coming apart at the seams.
If you want to hear God’s voice, try a few of the following when reading the Bible:
- Choose a specific time each day to read the Bible. Consistency creates habits.
- Create a beautiful space which beckons you to spend time listening to God’s voice like CJ on Beautiful Womanhood Facebook did.
- Read the Bible together with your husband as Carolyn shared on Facebook. Discussing it together afterward can birth fresh insight about what God is saying.
- Grab a red-letter copy of the Bible where every word Jesus spoke is recorded in red. Read one or two verses each day and think about them throughout the day to transform your thinking. New thoughts will produce new actions which will produce a better life.
- Read one verse or chapter from Proverbs each day. There is one chapter of Proverbs for each day of the month. This book is chock-full of WISDOM!
- Journal your thoughts about what you’ve read. Writing helps you discover more about you and God. The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal is the perfect place to write the insights you discover pertaining to your role as a wife found in God’s word.
Allow your desperation to lead you to God’s Word where God Himself will speak words of love, hope, wisdom, and direction. Are you listening?